SAINT ANTHONY’S HISTORY
The Parish of St Anthony of Padua was established on 17 October 1937, by Archbishop Killian. In August 1929, Archbishop Killian blessed and laid the foundation stone of the new Church / School in Castle Street. In 1938, Father Robertson moved into the newly built Presbytery on South Road, he was the first Parish Priest of Edwardstown. Monsignor Skehan was appointed in 1950. In 1953, St Maria Goretti’s Church / School was built at a cost of 9,000 pounds.
On Sunday 3 May 1957, Archbishop Beovich laid the foundation stone of the St Anthony of Padua Church. It was consecrated on the 26 November 1959 and officially opened in the presence of 4,000 people on 13 December 1959. The final Mass at St Maria Goretti Church took place at the Easter Vigil on 11 April 2009. A chapel dedicated to St Maria Goretti was incorporated into the newly refurbished St Anthony of Padua Church. A Thanksgiving Mass for the renovated St Anthony of Padua Church occurred on 2 February 2013.